It is currently 20.10.2017 14:18

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need help / suggestion on config. Thanks
PostPosted: 28.09.2009 16:12 
DES
DES

Hi all, first off thanks you in advance for any help provided.

Current setup:
O/S: win2k3 enterprise server running openvpn
NETWORK:192.168.1.x / 255.255.255.0 / gw: 192.168.1.1 (linksys running dd-wrt)
TAP ADAPTER: 192.168.10.x / 255.255.255.128
ISP:Road Runner 18mbits/2mbits

I have a couple problems. Firstly after several hourse of trial and error I was finally able to establish a
connection to my open vpn server by following the guide here http://www.itsatechworld.com/2006/01/29 ... re-openvpn.
Initially, I followed the instructions and for the life of me i could not figure out why I couldnt connect then after using portqry.exe
I realized that the port was not listening. I tried seveal ports and none worked until I finally figured out that for whatever reason
I cannot get my win2k3 to listen on a UDP (win firewall disabled) port and of course per the instructions thats all i was using. I tested this by configuring openvpn to use a udp port and i would run portqry against the private ip address of my win2k3 server while logged into the server (basically running portqry on loopback) and it would never listen. So I figured id try TCP for now just to see if I can establish a connection. Finally! I was able to connect after forwarding a TCP port. After my initial connection
I was not getting internet access even after changing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters IPEnableRouter = dword:00000001
but i was able to Remote desktop to my 2k3 server with an internal 192.168.x.x address so that part was working. After doing some research
I figured out that RRAS has to be enabled on 2k3 server for me to have internet access. I did that and viola! internet access. So I am now establishing an internet connection all via vpn

Problems I am having:

1. My connection is extrememly slow. On a speakeasy speed test i wasnt breaking 200kbits :( I have encryption disabled via cipher none (see config file below). I would like to try setting openvpn with a udp port to see if that speeds up my connection, but at the moment i cant.
2. Why on earth can I not get win2k3 server to listen/open a upd port. Ive done serch after search and one forum post suggests that i have to install a
third party firewall (zonealarm) and explicitly allow the UDP port through that.

below are my working config files with TCP config and encryption disabled.

server config:

local 192.168.1.x # This is the IP address of the real network interface on the server connected to the router

port 21 # This is the port OpenVPN is running on - make sure the router is port forwarding this port to the above IP

proto tcp # UDP tends to perform better than TCP for VPN

mssfix 1400 # This setting fixed problems I was having with apps like Remote Desktop

push "dhcp-option DNS 209.18.47.61" # Replace the Xs with the IP address of the DNS for your home network (usually your ISP's DNS)

push "dhcp-option DNS 209.18.47.62" # A second DNS server if you have one

dev tap

dev-node TAPS #If you renamed your TAP interface or have more than one TAP interface then remove the # at the beginning and change "MyTAP" to its name

ca "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\ca.crt"

cert "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\server.crt"

key "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\server.key" # This file should be kept secret

dh "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\dh1024.pem"

server 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.128 # This assigns the virtual IP address and subent to the server's OpenVPN connection. Make sure the Routing Table entry matches this.

ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt

push "redirect-gateway def1" # This will force the clients to use the home network's internet connection

keepalive 10 120

cipher none # Blowfish (default) encryption

comp-lzo

max-clients 100 # Assign the maximum number of clients here

persist-key

persist-tun

status openvpn-status.log

verb 1 # This sets how detailed the log file will be. 0 causes problems and higher numbers can give you more detail for troubleshooting

# lines starting with # or ; will not be read by OpenVPN

client config:

client

dev tap

dev-node TAPI #If you renamed your TAP interface or have more than one TAP interface then remove the # at the beginning and change "MyTAP" to its name

proto tcp

remote blah.myserver.com 21 #You will need to enter you dyndns account or static IP address here. The number following it is the port you set in the server's config

route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 vpn_gateway 3 #This it the IP address scheme and subnet of your normal network your server is on. Your router would usually be 192.168.1.1

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key

persist-tun

ca "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\ca.crt"

cert "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\client1.crt" # Change the next two lines to match the files in the keys directory. This should be be different for each client.

key "C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\keys\\client1.key" # This file should be kept secret

ns-cert-type server

cipher none # Blowfish (default) encrytion

comp-lzo

verb 1

Offline Profile